- Organization: United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Dakar (Senegal)
- Grade: Internship
- Occupational Groups:
- Project and Program Management
- Closing Date: 2019-10-23
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – UNOPS
Within these three core areas of expertise, the organization provides transactional, advisory and implementation services to its partners for projects ranging from school and hospital construction to the purchase of goods. and services, through the training of local workers. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure the economic, social and environmental sustainability of the projects it supports, with a particular focus on strengthening national capacities.
UNOPS operates in some of the most challenging contexts in the world and its vision is to improve sustainable implementation practices in the areas of development, humanitarian assistance and peacebuilding, while meeting or exceeding systematically the expectations of its partners.
UNOPS has more than 6,000 staff, and the organization has created thousands of additional employment opportunities in local communities on behalf of its partners. From its headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, and through a network of regional and national offices, UNOPS oversees activities in more than 80 countries.
UNOPS respects and encourages diversity among its staff.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – SENEGAL
Located in Dakar, the UNOPS office in Senegal has developed a strong working relationship with West African governments and international partners over the years. It provides technical support in strategic areas of development including elections; markets and capacity building in this area; protection of the environment, as well as rehabilitation and infrastructure development.
- Contribute on a daily basis to the implementation of the program and projects and ensure good compliance with expected results, objectives and work plans
- Assist the various PMOs in the development and / or modification of forms and other management tools, program rules
- Advise potential Recipients on the development of project activities, as required
- Provide day-to-day support to Beneficiaries and new projects, as well as those already approved, as needed
- Assist the Program Management Office in the implementation and monitoring of projects, including field visits
- Maintain professional relationships with partners, government institutions, donors
- Assist the Program Management Office in the preparation of the various reports
- Write articles, publications, speeches, letters, memos or any other document for the program and respond to requests for the program
- Create and maintain a project database and database of program stakeholders
- Support and assist the Program Management Office whenever necessary
II. Budgetary Management (30%)
- Review and process payment requests from Beneficiaries and suppliers (companies, consultants, contractors, etc.) by obtaining the necessary authorizations and ensuring the rapid implementation of these payments
- Maintain the financial integrity of the program within the local office and externally, implement and monitor the operational budget of the program through the maintenance of a budget dashboard and a database
- Review the financial reports submitted by the Beneficiaries and advise the Management Office Program if necessary
- Produce any other financial report when required
III. Administrative functions (30%)
- Manage and organize the daily work in the office
- Establish an archive system and keep documents and records in good order
- Write the elements of correspondence and daily communication
- Prepare contextual information and documentation, update program data and compile elements for the Program Manager
- Ensure the distribution of communication materials and other documents to the parties concerned
- Maintain records related to personnel, performance reviews, leave, and other HR management documents
- Ensure that any report or document requested by Headquarters is submitted on time
VI. Other Additional Information
Training Components and Learning Elements
- Know the context in which UNOPS operates as a regional entity
- Develop the ability to communicate in a specific way using the UN language
- Become familiar with some UN basic procedures
- Develop a sense of coordination and priority management, planning, etc.
- Become familiar with the different stages of a project
- Understand the monitoring of a portfolio of projects.
Participation in missions or training courses
- Acquire Prince 2 certification
|Develops and implements sustainable operational strategies, thinks long-term, and considers external perspectives in ways that shape the organization in a positive way. Anticipates and perceives the effects of future activities and decisions on other parts of the organization.|
|Demonstrates an understanding of the effects of its role on all partners and gives priority to beneficiaries. Forges and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if applicable to its role).|
|Evaluates data and processes to make logical and pragmatic decisions. Adopt a neutral and rational approach in calculating risks. Applies innovation and creativity to a problem solving process.|
|Effectively establishes a series of measures for oneself and for others to achieve a goal. The actions taken lead to the total accomplishment of the task while respecting the quality requirements in all the fields. Identify opportunities and take initiatives to seize them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes the impact of our activities on beneficiaries.|
|Treats all individuals with respect give consideration to differences and encourage others to do the same. Embodies ethical and organizational standards. Meets high standards of honesty Is a model for diversity and inclusion issues.|
|Open to change and flexible in a very dynamic environment. Adapts effectively his approach to follow changing circumstances or needs. Learn from his experience and change his behavior. Its results are consistent, even under pressure. Constantly seeking improvement.|
|Express ideas or facts clearly, concisely and openly. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Listen actively and share your knowledge spontaneously. Manage conflict effectively by respecting differences and finding common ground.|
|Acts as a positive example contributing to team spirit. Collaborate and support the development of others. For Leaders Only: Acts as a positive example of leadership, motivates, leads and inspires others to succeed, uses appropriate leadership styles.|
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
The selection procedure is open to candidates who, by the deadline for submitting applications, meet the following conditions:
Be enrolled in the last year of a Bachelor’s degree (BAC + 3) / Bachelor, Masters or PhD, in Management, International Relations, Project Management / Preference Program,
Be already in possession of the Bachelor or, Master or PhD degrees obtained less than 3 years from the date of submission of the application.
Minimum desired experiences
Professional experience in the following areas would be desirable: Project or program management,
Computer Tools: MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
Have a perfect command of French (read, spoken and written)
Knowledge of English will be a considerable asset
CONTRACT TYPE, LEVEL AND DURATION
Contractor Contract level: N / A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a UNOPS position. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Trainees may be eligible for a monthly UNOPS grant provided they do not receive funding from other institutions. In addition, UNOPS can provide a lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and visa requirements.
For more information on internship contracts at UNOPS, please follow the link below:
- Please note that the job offer ends on the closing date at midnight Copenhagen time (Central European Time).
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only preselected candidates for the interview will be contacted.
- We strongly encourage qualified women to apply.
- For public service posts, UNOPS reserves the right to assign a candidate to a post at a lower level than advertised.
- The selected candidate is required to comply with UNOPS security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures and the UN Security Management System.
- Workplace Harmonization : UNOPS values employees and recognizes the importance of balancing work and personal demands. We have a progressive policy of harmonization between work and personal life, and propose several flexible work options. This policy applies to UNOPS staff for all types of contracts and at all levels.
UNOPS policy requires the verification of references of all potential candidates for a position or an internship. These checks are crucial for hiring.