UNDP implements a joint programme with Food and Agriculture Organization and World Food Programme, a two-year initiative of Technical Support to Stakeholder’s Capacity Development for Effective Implementation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Risk Reduction Policy”. UNDP is involved in institutional strengthening at national, sub-national and local levels. The project will be implemented from 2018-2020 under the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID/UK) UK funding, FAO as lead agency directly receives funds and distributes among other participating agencies through UN Agency to UN Agency Contribution Agreement. The project is the scale up of BDRP-I which was implemented from September 2016 to September 2018.
The UN consortium’s design of BDRP Phase II has been based on two key principles: a) replication and up scaling of evidence-based interventions, tools and methodologies to new program areas and b) design of interventions such that they get fully aligned with CBDRM consortium interventions at grass root level.
The overall programme aims to achieve the resilience outcome by capacitating new districts on generating the knowledge base for sectoral disaster risk reduction/management and CCA planning and policy making. In order to ensure that DRM mainstreaming is an integral part of development UNDP will extensively work with various tiers of disaster management authorities from federal to district level. Some of the notable activities of phase I have focused on the development & implementation of National Action Plan for the SFDRR, district-level disaster information management system, Public Private Partnerships (PPP) on disaster mitigation measures, strengthening of District Emergency Operation Centers (DEOCs) and the formulation of the recovery need assessment strategies in collaboration with NDMA.
This position will be based in UNDP Islamabad office and the incumbent will be responsible for providing operational support to the project activities and results outcome of the Building Disaster Resilience in Pakistan (BDRP) and DRR in Pakistan projects, i.e. donor and funds management, financial resources management, procurement and administration. The incumbent will also be responsible for development of financial reporting guidelines and reporting templates as per requirements of UNDP and the donor and will also gather information from the relevant stakeholders, followed by submission of finalized reports to the management & donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the project in compiling and developing project work-plans, project budgets and expenditure reports; budget revisions as per work plan revisions.
- Maintain and update financial reports, combined delivery reports, project correspondence, donor reporting and update financial management dashboard.
- Preparation of requests for payments, scrutiny and verification of supporting documents to ensure accuracy of financial information submitted for payment processing based on relevant contracts and agreements.
- Review of payment request received from other offices for accuracy and compliance.
- Preparing and submission of on demand financial reports to project management and component leads.
- Follow up with UNDP Core finance team for queries, observations, and timely payment processing.
- Regular scrutiny of the actual financial data of project to monitor for any variance, exceptions and suggest corrective actions including recommendations for necessary budget amendments.
- Ensure integrity of financial and administrative procedures as well as a consistent application of UNDP rules and procedures about project implementation and compliance with internal control framework of UNDP
- Proper management of the contribution’s management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with applicable UNDP Operational Policies.
- Track internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, follow-up of unapproved vouchers, inter-project funds transfers and reconciliations, corrective entries of posted vouchers.
- Ensure adequate disclosure are provided with each process for internal/external audit preparation. Facilitate supervisor in responding to the auditor’s queries.
- Provide oversight to ensure that qualitative services are provided to national partners including fair and transparent procurement process and efficient operational support.
- Create, supervise and manage the requisitions, registers of goods receipt, budget check for requisitions.
- Inventory management of project assets including proper record of issuance of all project assets to project staff and consultants. Keeping track of Inventory items issued to project partners. Project level stock taking at regular intervals.
- Review and monitor Implementing Partner’s disbursements, FACE form review and analysis of advances, expenditures, and settlements in ATLAS ERP system.
- Capacity development of implementing partner’s staff on Financial and administrative management and UNDP applicable rules and regulations.
- Sharing advisories and learning platforms and to track the project budget, Common Services cost sharing and actual expenditure reporting.
- Support the programme team in coordination with Government and other partners for events, workshops and meetings, including preparation of agenda, invitations, and drafting and circulation of minutes of the meetings;
- Provide travel arrangement support to the staff including travel authorization, raising requisition and request for security clearance, transport and hotel accommodation and processing of related payments;
- Manage project’s vehicle and logbooks verification, POL and maintenance of equipment and ensure that project resources are utilized with due diligence.
- Knowledge building and sharing, Operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks
Ability to persuade others to follow
Communication & Relationship Management:
Ability to listen,adapt, persuade, and transform
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work
- Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision.
- Knowledge of the use of information management;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks;
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters).
Communication and Computer Skills
- Communication and training (spoken and written) skills
- Excellent computer skills
Planning and Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or Finance.
Experience: At least 1 year of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing support and advisory services, hands-on experience in administration, finance and overall operations support of development projects.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English is required.